Thread: Quick question

Unanswered: Quick question

Hi,

I realize this is pretty basic, but how do i know weather i'm programming my procedures in DAO or ADO? do i simply go into References from the tools menu of the IDE and see which libraries a checked?

Right now, i have no DAO libraries checked, only ADO, so does that mean that all my programming is already done in ADO?

I suspect it to be the case, but i'd like a confirmation from the pros!

Thanks!
    Cheers!

Mr.Crud

There are 10 kinds of people, ones that understand digital, others that dont

i'm probably not the right one to answer since i am (still) strictly DAO, but my impression is that almost everything one does in code is neither ADO nor DAO. it's only when you start messing with data objects and the like that you need one model or the other.

restated: if you didn't mess with a recordset in code, you probably didn't use ADO or DAO.

if you had DAO code but not the reference, you would know about it!

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

If you are using Access 2000 or above then the default is ADO. If you are using Access 97 then the default is DAO. If you want your code to be totally clear then add either ADO. or DAO. to and variable declarations. Ex.:

Dim rstRecords as DAO.Recordset

Dim rstRecords as ADO.Recordset

Otherwise the references and their order determines which you are using.

Thanks for the quick replies! this is exactly the answer i was looking for! I'll be splitting up my db into client server soon, and i read that my code needs to be ADO only for this.

Cheers!!
    Cheers!

Mr.Crud

...call me obstinate if you like, by my client/server works just fine with DAO (and i don't have to worry about ADOs buffering peculiarities).

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Really? what kind of back end r u using? I'll be using the MSDE 2000 back end. MS pretty much says that for this, you have to use ADO only.... but MS is not to be trusted blindly!

Thanks!
    Cheers!

Mr.Crud