Question Unanswered: Need help formatting mail merge file please

Hello,

I have never done a mail merge before and I am at quite a loss here!

I have tried to use the mail merge but it seems to expect me to have some sort of premade mail merge data file is a specific format. My problem is that what I have is a list of approximately 500 addresses that I wish to print envelopes for. This list is an ascii text list and is not in any type of special mail merge format.

My question is this: Is it possible for me to format this list in a particular way so that it can be used to perform my mail merge? Can I simply add the appropriate delimiters to my text file? I have tried to determine the format but with no success.

Please tell me that I do not have to type in each of these 500 addresses one by one to create my mail merge file.

Can anyone help me with advice on how I could format this text file to perform a mail merge?

Thank you,
    Malloc

No, you don't need to retype all names...

The first of all is to import the text file. And this can be easy or not. I dont know how is your text file.

Try to import the text to see what you need to rearrange.

Do you know how to import a text file to access?

After this comes the mail merge...

Ruas

Oh sorry, I didn't read well your post.

The problem is to create delimiters indeed. A way to make that is import to excel (because is like an access table). Here is the best place. Something you need to make can be made by macros.

That's not a nice job... But try to create an address in excel - to see if the format is ok - then import that into access and see the result.

If you need to change something, try again. After this first test you know what you have to do with your list.

Good luck..

Ruas

Take a look at this site. Is has a very good samples...

http://www.helenfeddema.com/access.htm

Look for "Mail Merge Mysteries".

Regards.

Ruas