Unanswered: Performance Benchmarks

I am asked to carry out performance benchmarks of our application which runs on db2 ese v8.1.4a / win2k platform. I am wondering how to proceed further - I have a very high level overview of the same eg: tpc benchmark documents etc but appreciate if someone can throw some light on how performance benchmarks actually done.

Any help, pointers or documents is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

There are two main categories of TPC benchmarks:

- TPC-C and TPC-W are OLTP benchmarks.
    - TPC-H and TPC-R are the data warehouse benchmarks.

The TPC benchmarks have their own set of tables and a program which generates test data. They also provide the SQL statements that need to be run for the benchmark.

The TPC-C benchmark would be a bit more difficult to run because it needs some type of transaction monitor such as BEA Tuxedo or Microsoft COM+ (which you may not use for your application). The TPC-W benchmark is for web applications, but I am not familiar with the details.

The TPC-H is not quite as difficult to set up and I have run it myself on several occasions. But for any of the TPC benchmarks, it will not be on your application, it will be on the TPC application, data, and SQL statements.

The TPC documentation provides a more detailed explanation of each benchmark. http://www.tpc.org
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Marcus_A - many thanks! for your reply. I was reading thro' some of the documents on tpc.org website...it's quite handy.

But, I am looking more from a bufferpools, locks, memory, cpu, disk i/o utilization against a standard set of complex SQL queries over a known period of time.

Can anyone confirm or add more to the above list. If someone has already created a template - then that's fine too.

Thanks for your help.

Suresh

If you want to set up a repeatable benchmark, look at the DB2 Benchmark Tool called db2batch in the Command Reference.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Yes, I can get results from various performance monitoring tools including db2batch utility.

Apart from this, Do we have a document that explains performance tuning process to be followed? What are the steps to be taken in order to benchmark queries?

Thanks in advance.