Unanswered: SQLServer Restore (HELP PLEASE)

Hello Guys

We´re in a big deep problem...

We lost some data from our SQLServer and now we discover that the SQLServer agent was not running and the backup was not being performed.

Is that any way to recover the lost data from the log files, even if we have to retype everything?

Regards
    Andre

you will need to back up the transaction log file - then do a point in time recovery using the last db backup and the trans log backup you have just taken - have a look at restoredb in BOL

I am assuming that the log file is intact from the last db backup, or you have backups along the way - if it is not then I suspect you will need to start typing!
    Regards
    Dbabren

That´s the way...We know that we will have to type everything...But we would like to get what data we lost. Just a few collums on a table...

Is it possible to get the typed data from some log file?

Regards

I believe that there are some transaction log file readers on the market, although I have never used any of them. You should be able to get your deleted data using these, but unless anyone else here can suggest a tool, it looks like a googe search I'm afraid
    Regards
    Dbabren

Lumigent's LOG EXPLORER is the one tool which helps you to read the Transaction log easily but ensure you haven't issued checkpoint or ALTER database after the data was lost, if so then no chance of recovering the data.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

I think that the main question is:

- Does the SQLServer logs all row changes on the database?

Provided Answers: 11
    The answer is "yes, but..."

It does keep a record of all transactions, but in order to restore the log, you need a starting point (a full backup). You also need to make sure there are no gaps in the transaction log.