Unanswered: get rownumber of a specific row in a table

I would like to get the data between rownumbers 49 and 150. How can I do that?

Re: get rownumber of a specific row in a table

Originally posted by durbhakula

That is not really a good idea - Oracle does not pull data in a standard fashion- Just because it is in order in the table does not mean it will come back that way.

You should add an order by statement to ensure the order, and then if you absolutely need only those rows do this:

Code:
    SELECT * 
    FROM your_table
    where rownum between 49 and 150

This is highly not recommended though as it is really bad database practice to use rownum as selection criteria like that.

Just my 2 cents

Re: get rownumber of a specific row in a table

select a from (
    select rownum rnum, a from table1
    where rownum < 151)
    where rnum > 48

you can modify it to fit your case

I executed exactly as you said.. but I got no results..But when I did

select user_id, rownum from up_user;

I got results..

I do not understand....So, you mean to say that I cannot view any specific row's data??

I executed exactly as you said.. but I got no results..But when I did

select user_id, rownum from up_user;

I got results..

I do not understand....So, you mean to say that I cannot view any specific row's data??

You can view a specific row's data, but using rownum is not a great idea.

Oracle doesnt just pull the rows out exactly the way they look in the database. Sometimes yes - other times no. To pull them in the order you want, you need to add an order by statement.

So lets say you have something in row 50. When you select data from the table without an order by statement, there's no guarantee that it would actually come up as the 50th row. And if you added another row, how would you know which row it actually was?

A better way is to make sure you have a primary key (has to be unique) and pull the rows based on that primary key or some other criteria.

You must have some criteria for wanting the rows between 50-150 right? They must represent something to you--- think about why only those rows should be selected, and you can put that criteria in your where statement.

using rownum could be dangerous or misleading if you don't understand it well.
    if you understand that rownum is nothing but rows processed by oracle then it will make things easier sometimes. Remember rownum is set for each row before order by in the same query/subquery.

Thank You guys for the exlanation.

Actually, I am not new to SQL. But, I never used something like this.....but, all of a sudden I got a request like this..And actually did not know if I could do..So, I was asking the question..

Yeah, I have primary key..Finally I just select the rows based on my primary key and then massaged the data in an editor to get what I needed.

OK..It's good when someone gives as a logical explanation..gives a better understanding..

Thanks

The reason why you dont get rows by doing:

select * from table1

is because rownum starts from 1 then increments 1 after each row, if you have no 1 then you cannot get 2 and so on.

Only the following expressions make sense:
    rownum = 1
    rownum between 1 and n (n>=1)
    rownum < n (n>1)

Originally posted by lynden.zhang
    The reason why you dont get rows by doing:

select * from table1

is because rownum starts from 1 then increments 1 after each row, if you have no 1 then you cannot get 2 and so on.

Only the following expressions make sense:
    rownum = 1
    rownum between 1 and n (n>=1)
    rownum < n (n>1)
    Never tried getting anything between rows before, so I had no idea that wouldnt work

Let me add my voice to those telling you not to look for data this way in Oracle. Ask for records meeting a criteria based on column values. If you ever venture into db_links, nested tables, and some other nasties, you will not get what you want.
    If you want to browse a sample of your data, there are tools that will let you do that (freetoad for instance).
    HTH
    Cliff
    It was working just 5 minutes ago - I promise !