Unhappy Unanswered: sum function yielding bad results

I've inherited the following code:

SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT dbo._Options_Demographics.GradeLevel, dbo._Options_Demographics.Gender, dbo._Options_Demographics.Ethnicity,
    dbo._Options_Demographics.Age, SUM(dbo._Options_Demographics.Enrollment) AS Enrollment, dbo._Options_Demographics.OptionsYear,
    dbo._Options_Demographics.OptionsMonth
    FROM dbo._Options_Confirmed INNER JOIN
    dbo._Options_Demographics ON dbo._Options_Demographics.DistrictCode = dbo._Options_Confirmed.DistrictCode
    GROUP BY dbo._Options_Demographics.GradeLevel, dbo._Options_Demographics.Gender, dbo._Options_Demographics.Ethnicity,
    dbo._Options_Demographics.Age, dbo._Options_Demographics.OptionsYear, dbo._Options_Demographics.OptionsMonth
    ORDER BY dbo._Options_Demographics.OptionsYear, dbo._Options_Demographics.OptionsMonth, dbo._Options_Demographics.GradeLevel,
    dbo._Options_Demographics.Gender, dbo._Options_Demographics.Ethnicity, dbo._Options_Demographics.Age

which returns this data (the enrollment value is 4 times the correct value)
    grade gender eth age enroll year month
    8 Female Black 16 1811 2003 December
    8 Female Black 17 1621 2003 December
    8 Female Black 18 793 2003 December
    8 Female Black 18P 287 2003 December

If I remove the sum function and manually add, my totals are correct ...
    SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT _Options_Demographics.GradeLevel, _Options_Demographics.Gender, _Options_Demographics.Ethnicity,
    _Options_Demographics.Age, _Options_Demographics.Enrollment, _Options_Demographics.OptionsYear,
    _Options_Demographics.OptionsMonth
    FROM _Options_Confirmed RIGHT OUTER JOIN
    _Options_Demographics ON _Options_Demographics.DistrictCode = _Options_Confirmed.DistrictCode
    GROUP BY _Options_Demographics.GradeLevel, _Options_Demographics.Gender, _Options_Demographics.Ethnicity, _Options_Demographics.Age,
    _Options_Demographics.Enrollment, _Options_Demographics.OptionsYear, _Options_Demographics.OptionsMonth
    ORDER BY _Options_Demographics.OptionsYear, _Options_Demographics.OptionsMonth, _Options_Demographics.GradeLevel,
    _Options_Demographics.Gender, _Options_Demographics.Ethnicity, _Options_Demographics.Age

I've been looking at this for too long and I know that is something very trivial ...

William

Provided Answers: 1
    The query you posted should give the total Enrollment for each district, assuming that GradeLevel, Gender, Ethnicity, Age, OptionsYear, and OptionsMonth represent a natural unique key on your outer table. If they do not, then your Enrollment total will be multiplied by the number of duplicates in the OptionsConfirmed table.
    (Why do your table names start with underscores?)

This might give you what you want:

SELECT distinct TOP 100 PERCENT
    dbo._Options_Demographics.GradeLevel,
    dbo._Options_Demographics.Gender,
    dbo._Options_Demographics.Ethnicity,
    dbo._Options_Demographics.Age,
    DisctrictEnrollment.Enrollment,
    dbo._Options_Demographics.OptionsYear,
    dbo._Options_Demographics.OptionsMonth
    FROM dbo._Options_Confirmed
    INNER JOIN
    (select dbo._Options_Demographics.DistrictCode,
    SUM(dbo._Options_Demographics.Enrollment) AS Enrollment
    From dbo._Options_Demographics
    group by dbo._Options_Demographics.DistrictCode) DistrictEnrollment
    ON DistrictEnrollment.DistrictCode = dbo._Options_Confirmed.DistrictCode
    ORDER BY dbo._Options_Demographics.OptionsYear,
    dbo._Options_Demographics.OptionsMonth,
    dbo._Options_Demographics.GradeLevel,
    dbo._Options_Demographics.Gender,
    dbo._Options_Demographics.Ethnicity,
    dbo._Options_Demographics.Age
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Thanks, that was the case in that they are not 'keys' ... I did inherit the 'underscores' also. I need to rework your code and when it works, I will let you know. Thanks a bunch.

William