Unanswered: Just wondering...

Please dont laugh, im only 15.

Can anyody tell me what is SQL and how woudl you use it?

Any another thing, why would you use front end and back end dtuff, couldnt you just use one big database. Im so confused...

Im tryin to learn more databases at the moment

Re: Just wondering...

Originally posted by 00304367
    Please dont laugh, im only 15.

Can anyody tell me what is SQL and how woudl you use it?

Any another thing, why would you use front end and back end dtuff, couldnt you just use one big database. Im so confused...

Im tryin to learn more databases at the moment

SQL stands for standard query language - you use it to pull out data from the database. It has standard commands and functions to allow you to pull out the data in any way you want.

The back end is your database - it houses all of your information. The front end is either a web form, or some application that shields the users from seeing the database. You dont want users to be able to go directly into the database because they can delete/modify the data which is a bad idea.

Think about when you go to this website - it has a back-end database which stores all of the information. It also has forms (front-end) to allow you to interact with the database, but not damage it.

Hope that helps.

Structured (Not Standard!)
    Query
    Language

SQL can be broken into peaces, but generaly its for data manipulation and data retrieval from just about any relational Database.

Splitting to front and backend. Imagine if you will a situation where you are not at the users location but need to update the application anyway.
    If you have a frontend (program) and backend (Data) this will allow you to update the program (forms, queries and such) without the loss of data...

Hope that gives you specific enough answer to a pretty general subject.

Regards

Originally posted by namliam
    Structured (Not Standard!)
    Query
    Language

SQL can be broken into peaces, but generaly its for data manipulation and data retrieval from just about any relational Database.

Splitting to front and backend. Imagine if you will a situation where you are not at the users location but need to update the application anyway.
    If you have a frontend (program) and backend (Data) this will allow you to update the program (forms, queries and such) without the loss of data...

Hope that gives you specific enough answer to a pretty general subject.

Regards

God if we are picking apart each others posts its pieces not peaces

So dont try and go learn Standard Query Language b/c you may screw up your database (sarcasm)

Note the post times, both 19:12... nice little crosspost.

I put the Not Standard in cause lots of ppl do think that while it in fact is not standard, not by far....

Yes pieces not peaces, peace out man (Sarcasm) sorry my english aint what it used to be....

Regards

Originally posted by namliam
    Note the post times, both 19:12... nice little crosspost.

I put the Not Standard in cause lots of ppl do think that while it in fact is not standard, not by far....

Yes pieces not peaces, peace out man (Sarcasm) sorry my english aint what it used to be....

Regards

Yea I didnt notice the time - good point-

Have a good weekend!

Thansk for ur help, but im still a bit confused, so backend stores the data, Tables right? and the front end could house the forms right? if so how could you do this? i knwo a little about networking and servers

Originally posted by 00304367
    Thansk for ur help, but im still a bit confused, so backend stores the data, Tables right? and the front end could house the forms right? if so how could you do this? i knwo a little about networking and servers
    Funny thread....
    Yep, you're right. Front End contains everything but the data.
    The front end is attached to the back end via Linked Tables.