Unanswered: locked out of all DB's by password

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I am a novice and can't figure out what is going on here.

Using Win2K and Access 2K

I had created a database and password protected it so I could test syncing with a PPC. When I was done testing I deleted the database.

Today I went to open a database that is not password protected and it prompts me for the password. ?? I think I know the password but it also asks for a user name. I can't seem to figure out the right combination to put it.

Because of this, I can't open ANY databases and can't even create a new one. I am locked out of ALL. Grrrr...

Is there a way to fix this, even if that means playing with the registry? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

dazz

Passwords are stored in the system.mdb. If you didnt create 1 for the database specificaly you created it for all dbs....

Regards

Smile Re: locked out of all DB's by password

Originally posted by dazz
    Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I am a novice and can't figure out what is going on here.

Using Win2K and Access 2K

I had created a database and password protected it so I could test syncing with a PPC. When I was done testing I deleted the database.

Today I went to open a database that is not password protected and it prompts me for the password. ?? I think I know the password but it also asks for a user name. I can't seem to figure out the right combination to put it.

Because of this, I can't open ANY databases and can't even create a new one. I am locked out of ALL. Grrrr...

Is there a way to fix this, even if that means playing with the registry? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

dazz
    Try using Admin as the User Name and the password that you remember. If this doesn't work, find a clean copy of Access on another machine and locate the System.mdw file. If you don't have access to another machine, you can reinstall Access to get it. You may need to replace the one on your machine with this one. You can also place it wherever you want on your machine and use the Workgroup Administrator to join this clean copy. I'm running Access 2002 and I think the location of things is slightly different then 2K so I won't try to specify a path to the file.

If this isn't enough to get you out of trouble call us back.

Good luck.

Gregg

namliam, thank for the info. Ill try reading this forum before I attempt that again.

Gregg, THANKS!! That did the trick. I copied the SYSTEM.MDW from my other computer and am all smiles again.

Thanks guys.

Cheers.

dazz