Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Linux Sys Admin

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    India
    Posts
    113

    Unanswered: Linux Sys Admin

    In Sco Unix/ unixware there was a command Scoadmin which is used to perform administrative tasks. Can anybody tell me what is the perfect substitute in Linux red hat/suse if one does not want to use the GUI mode.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Egypt
    Posts
    61

    Re: Linux Sys Admin

    Originally posted by kausik_m123
    In Sco Unix/ unixware there was a command Scoadmin which is used to perform administrative tasks. Can anybody tell me what is the perfect substitute in Linux red hat/suse if one does not want to use the GUI mode.

    Thanks

    In Redhat linux, u can use setup from command line, use commands directly, use GUI tools, even try webmin tool, but there is nothing like scoadmin in SCO or SMIT in AIX, in previous versions of Redhat there was linux_conf, but it was buggy, u will get used to scatterd GUI tools , it works fine, but not unified
    Last edited by hanyheggy; 02-21-04 at 21:08.
    hany heggy,
    IBM certified Professional, AIX system support
    www.melodyhits.tv

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    482

    Re: Linux Sys Admin

    Originally posted by hanyheggy
    In Redhat linux, u can use setup from command line, use commands directly, use GUI tools, even try webmin tool, but there is nothing like scoadmin in SCO or SMIT in AIX, in previous versions of Redhat there was linux_conf, but it was buggy, u will get used to scatterd GUI tools , it works fine, but not unified
    It's depend on what you would like to configure....
    When time, startup services, mouse etc. then execute "setup" as root.
    But i believe is better to you to start learn configuration thru the bash commands.
    Last edited by ika; 02-24-04 at 04:30.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Egypt
    Posts
    61

    Re: Linux Sys Admin

    Originally posted by ika
    It's depend on what you would like to configure....
    When time, startup services, mouse etc. then execute "setup" as root.
    But i believe is better to you to start learn configuration thru the bash commands.

    If u got a close look, u will find that i listed all avalible options to admin RH linux from command line to GUI tool, besides it is not nessary to mestion that one should use these tools as user root, because if the guy who will admin the system does not know this already, it make no sense at all !
    Last edited by hanyheggy; 02-25-04 at 23:46.
    hany heggy,
    IBM certified Professional, AIX system support
    www.melodyhits.tv

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    India
    Posts
    113
    Thanks for all the updates.
    I have exp in Unix/unixware but new to Linux thats why I posted that issue. But I won't be new to Linux for long .
    Since I have exp on Unix so I am very much aware of the powers of root user.

    Anyway thnx....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •