Unanswered: Access 2000/ SQL 2000

Hello everyone...

Quick question...

Can someone recommend a good recource, that a person with limited experience can digest, that discusses using Access 2000 as a front end to SQL 2000?...how the two tie in together? I am somewhat familiar with Access but have almost no knowledge of SQL. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks a bunch!

Access 2000/ SQL 2000

Access and SQL are both the same in that they are databases. They are both used as a backend of a database program. The decision to use either Access or SQL should be based upon the application and preference. Access is great for smaller apps as opposed to SQL is widely used for enterprise apps.

Hope this helps.

Re: Access 2000/ SQL 2000

1) Link your SQL tables to your access databases.

2) Then make your forms in access.

3) Drop this control onto your forms:

http://www.geocities.com/scirocco_ha/DataControl.htm

Then you can Navigate, Add New, Delete, Refresh, Search and Save Changes to your tables without any other code. That is really it, no other code is needed.

This works in any environment VB, Access, VC++ etc...

Let me know what you think.

Originally posted by Somecallmejosh
    Hello everyone...

Quick question...

Can someone recommend a good recource, that a person with limited experience can digest, that discusses using Access 2000 as a front end to SQL 2000?...how the two tie in together? I am somewhat familiar with Access but have almost no knowledge of SQL. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks a bunch!

Re: Access 2000/ SQL 2000

Thank you both for your responses. I figured the concept was pretty simple. Our office uses this setup and our IT guy will be retiring in 1.5 years. I will take over his position when he leaves and I want to learn as much as I can in the mean time. Are you guys familiar with Peachpit Press Books? I need a visual approach to learning SQL Server 2000.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails joshsae2.jpg