Unanswered: Change query's SQL from code.

HI,

I know how to change a query's SQL from code but is there any way of shortening it?

Example:

If I'm using this -

strsql = SELECT tblreview.IntReviewCaseID, tblClassification.StrClassification, tblRegion.StrRegion, tblArea.StrArea, tblsortcode_branch.Branch, tblcase.BranchID, tblcase.CustAccountNo, tblreview.DateInput, tblreview.DateArchNonComp, tblreview.DateType, tblcase.DateSeen, tblsortcode_branch.IntRegion, tblcase.DistributionChannel
    FROM (tblRegion INNER JOIN (tblArea INNER JOIN tblsortcode_branch ON tblArea.IntArea = tblsortcode_branch.IntArea) ON tblRegion.IntRegion = tblsortcode_branch.IntRegion) INNER JOIN (tblClassification INNER JOIN (tblcase INNER JOIN tblreview ON tblcase.IntCase = tblreview.IntReviewCaseID) ON tblClassification.IntClassification = tblreview.IntClassification) ON tblsortcode_branch.BranchID = tblcase.BranchID
    WHERE (((tblcase.BranchID) Like [forms]![frmreport]![txtbranch]) AND ((tblreview.DateInput) Between [forms]![frmreport]![txtinputfrom] And [forms]![frmreport]![txtinputto]) AND ((tblcase.DateSeen) Between [forms]![frmreport]![txtseenfrom] And [forms]![frmreport]![txtseento]) AND ((tblsortcode_branch.IntRegion) Like [forms]![frmreport]![txtregion]) AND ((tblcase.DistributionChannel) Like [forms]![frmreport]![txtdistchannel]));

is there any way to split it up like this:

strselect = tblreview.IntReviewCaseID, tblClassification.StrClassification, tblRegion.StrRegion, tblArea.StrArea, tblsortcode_branch.Branch, tblcase.BranchID, tblcase.CustAccountNo, tblreview.DateInput, tblreview.DateArchNonComp, tblreview.DateType, tblcase.DateSeen, tblsortcode_branch.IntRegion, tblcase.DistributionChannel

strfrom = (tblRegion INNER JOIN (tblArea INNER JOIN tblsortcode_branch ON tblArea.IntArea = tblsortcode_branch.IntArea) ON tblRegion.IntRegion = tblsortcode_branch.IntRegion) INNER JOIN (tblClassification INNER JOIN (tblcase INNER JOIN tblreview ON tblcase.IntCase = tblreview.IntReviewCaseID) ON tblClassification.IntClassification = tblreview.IntClassification) ON tblsortcode_branch.BranchID = tblcase.BranchID

Strwhere = (((tblcase.BranchID) Like [forms]![frmreport]![txtbranch]) AND ((tblreview.DateInput) Between [forms]![frmreport]![txtinputfrom] And [forms]![frmreport]![txtinputto]) AND ((tblcase.DateSeen) Between [forms]![frmreport]![txtseenfrom] And [forms]![frmreport]![txtseento]) AND ((tblsortcode_branch.IntRegion) Like [forms]![frmreport]![txtregion]) AND ((tblcase.DistributionChannel) Like [forms]![frmreport]![txtdistchannel]));

then have string of code that looks like this.

select " & strselect & " from " & strfrom & " where " & strwhere & ";

thanks everyone overing their input.

Re: Change query's SQL from code.

Yes you can do that, just watch out for missing spaces and other minor errors.

A technique that I use when building long strings is to put a breakpoint in my code on the select statement:

strsql= "select " & strselect & " from " & strfrom & " where " & strwhere

Then I go to the immediate window and type

? strsql and press enter

This gives me the string that will be passed to the database, which I try directly on the database. This technique helps in avoiding syntax errors which can occur easily in long strings.
    In abundance of water only the fool is thirsty. Bob Marley.

No problems doing it this way - more readable format.

some small typos - (probably just in a rush to post)

missing quotes
    >strselect = tblreview.IntReviewCaseID, ...

Extra semicolon
    >strfrom & " where " & strwhere & ";

output:
    strSQL = "select " & strselect & " from " & strfrom & " where " & strwhere

Thanks that did the trick although for some reason I couldn't get it to work before.