Unanswered: Paradox 4.5 on windows xp

Hi,

A client of mine has a database written in paradox 4.5 which he is running on a windows 95 machine.

He wants to buy a new machine - probably XP. He also wants to move the database across. He assures me it's a legal copy of paradox, but he can't find the installation disks.

can anyone tell me from experience : Will a paradox 4.5 application run OK under XP? If we can't locate the paradox installation disks, can we just copy everything across and expect it to run?!

thanks

Tim
    Last edited by alberon; 02-25-04 at 18:34.

Yes this will work, it does in my case anyhow. You might have to adapt the pif file to the right directories.

Re: Paradox 4.5 on windows xp

Originally posted by alberon
    Hi,

A client of mine has a database written in paradox 4.5 which he is running on a windows 95 machine.

He wants to buy a new machine - probably XP. He also wants to move the database across. He assures me it's a legal copy of paradox, but he can't find the installation disks.

can anyone tell me from experience : Will a paradox 4.5 application run OK under XP? If we can't locate the paradox installation disks, can we just copy everything across and expect it to run?!

thanks

Tim
    It does work. We have our ENTIRE company running on 4.x with 7 being used just to dump reports. Finance, Sales, Personnel, Server Dumps and OCR data all hummmmmmmm.

The install process here was from the disks so I can't help with the install, sorry.

Note: It's kind of sad when the program asks you to register. It was a great company. 4.5 is a GREAT program. Enjoy! ) I just wish the new product was a EASY to use. PAL is so much fun!!!!

The scripts still let you do things in a DOS shell that a Windows environment wishes it could do <ROFL>

I think you have to start up PDOX45 in Xp with parameters:

-extk 3096

I'm very grateful for all these replies. My client has ordered his XP machine, and we'll see how it goes ...

I have program developed with Paradox 4.5 for DOS runing on Windows XP, this a LAN program, have two versions 1 is compiled with TurboPal compiler and the other is for Pradox 4.5 for DOS RunTime.

Until now don't have a report for bugs or some other fail.

The Lan PC's run the program from a private directory.

The configuration for windows XP is not a problem. I use the memory configuration for 16000 (Paradox -oxtk 16000).