Thread: parsing a field

Unanswered: parsing a field

Could someone point me to right place -

i have a field(full name) that i need to separate into 2 separate fields (first name and last name). what's the simplest way?

tnx.

Re: parsing a field

Use the Leftword & rightwords function.
    Namefield = Jane Smith
    field FirstName = Leftwords(Namefield,1) = Jane
    field Last Name = Rightwords(Namefield,1) = Smith

Originally posted by bwanaaa
    Could someone point me to right place -

i have a field(full name) that i need to separate into 2 separate fields (first name and last name). what's the simplest way?

tnx.
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

thank you

Huh. Never knew that was an option. I would export the data TEXT, open it in Excel, copy/paste the column to be changed as plain text into Microsoft Word, have Word change spaces to TABS (^t) and then copy/paste back to Excel, and re-import into FileMaker. Jeez. Cool.

I guess you have to keep the original Namefield though, right, or no? If this is only a one-time thing, you'd want to get rid of that Namefield for on-going database usage so you may still have to export the data and re-import into an empty shell where FirstName and LastName have no formulae.
    --ST

Originally posted by Steve T.
    Huh. Never knew that was an option. I would export the data TEXT, open it in Excel, copy/paste the column to be changed as plain text into Microsoft Word, have Word change spaces to TABS (^t) and then copy/paste back to Excel, and re-import into FileMaker. Jeez. Cool.

I guess you have to keep the original Namefield though, right, or no? If this is only a one-time thing, you'd want to get rid of that Namefield for on-going database usage so you may still have to export the data and re-import into an empty shell where FirstName and LastName have no formulae.
    --ST

If you wanted to make this a one time 'thing' then you could write a script and use the SET FEILD command to do the calculation and then clear the 'orginal' value. You could even put data back into the orignal if you used a temp global field.

The advantage of this approach is that the 'separated names' would still be editable. The other method would require a calc field which would make the database a little bt larger and you could not edit the 'calced' record. The disadvantage is you would need to write a script and trigger it with a button.

thanks,

Joe