Question Unanswered: SQL Server Agent > general tab > Mail session is greyed out ??

Hi All,

Great forum y'all have going here.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Enterprise Manager:
    I have setup and 'sucessfully tested a MAPI session' with a mail profile via support services > sql mail. That works fine, however in sql server agent properties the mail session section on the first general tab appears to be greyed out.

scenario is:
    Windows Server 2003 SBS edition
    SQL Server 2000 SP3
    Exchange Server 2003 is also running on the server, with Outlook 2003 client (so i suspect side chaining issue).

Any help appreciated! did not have any luck googling or using microsoft KB.

Are you using the same account for server service as you are the agent?
    ---------------
    Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

yeah its the same account, otherwise the profile doesn't even show up in the SQL Mail support service in EM. I did double check that though

checked both of those documents where the info was relevant, the same account is used to start MSSQLSERVER and SQLSERVERAGENT services, i can start/stop a SQLMAIL profile, but still have a greyed out dropdown in sqlserveragent properties / general tab / mail session in EM.

I've also checked that email works from the server (loading up outlook) and it does, there is only the one profile setup anyway. all pretty standard

damn it

Originally posted by jdmwellington
    checked both of those documents where the info was relevant, the same account is used to start MSSQLSERVER and SQLSERVERAGENT services, i can start/stop a SQLMAIL profile, but still have a greyed out dropdown in sqlserveragent properties / general tab / mail session in EM.

I've also checked that email works from the server (loading up outlook) and it does, there is only the one profile setup anyway. all pretty standard

damn it
    What I did was went into the control panel/ mail settings and created a new profile and set it defualt. once I had done this the box was ready for me to use.
    Jim

already tried that one too. still no luck mate.

just to confirm all SQL services are starting with the same account, account is domain admin with full control on everything to do with SQL.

over lunchtime i removed both test profiles, started from the beginning, adding a new one, rebooted the server also, then from EM started/stopped a session via SQL MAIL in support services.

However still no luck with SQL Server Agent's mail session, i restarted that too, and checked the logs to see

"[260] Unable to start mail session (reason: No mail profile defined)"

I've googled and M$'s this too, to no avail.
    I'm thinking more and more it is because exchange server 2003 and outlook 2003 are running on the same machine :P

already tried that one too. still no luck mate.

just to confirm all SQL services are starting with the same account, account is domain admin with full control on everything to do with SQL.

over lunchtime i removed both test profiles, started from the beginning, adding a new one, rebooted the server also, then from EM started/stopped a session via SQL MAIL in support services.

However still no luck with SQL Server Agent's mail session, i restarted that too, and checked the logs to see

"[260] Unable to start mail session (reason: No mail profile defined)"

I've googled and M$'s this too, to no avail.
    I'm thinking more and more it is because exchange server 2003 and outlook 2003 are running on the same machine :P
    You have done everything that I did when i set up my SQL mail. Ill try to keep looking for you but you may be right about having all that software loaded.
    Jim

cheers, no problem thanks for the help anyway ;]

cheers, no problem thanks for the help anyway ;]
    How did u solve it?
    Jim

Sorry... haven't solved this as yet.
    I've asked the technical lead here to have a look because i've tried everything i can think of. Will bump this thread if/when I find out, however I suspect I will be handed the task of installing SQL Server/Outlook on a member server rather than the PDC/SBS/EXCHANGE server.

Too many things on one server = problems :P

cheers guyz

Just wondering if you ever figured it out? I am having the same problem and it is driving me crazy. Please let me know. Thanks!

Brenda

nah never figured it out sorry

good luck, suspect you might need to handle mail from another server.
    There is also a way to use SMTP instead of a MAPI profile for email, that might be an option.