Unanswered: Reorg check question

Hi,

On Windows XP I use DB2 v7.2 fp5.
    1. I checked the "reorgchk": reorgchk on table schema.tablename
    2. Reorg table: reorg table schema.tablename index schema.indexname
    3. Runstats: runstats on table schema.tablename with distribution and detailed indexes all
    4. Reorgchk again: reorgchk on table schema.tablename

Code:
    CREATOR  NAME                 CARD  LEAF  LVLS ISIZE   KEYS   F4   F5  F6 REORG
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Table: schema.tablename
    schema  indexname            67555   226     3     4  67555  100   87  111 --*
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My question: Why is the "*" character in REORG column indicating a reorg is neeaded, after I did the REORG?

Thanks,
    Grofaty

Re: Reorg check question

Hi,

When you run reorgchk on a table the formulas F1,F2,F3 are applied and based on that you get a "*" instead of "-" in the last column.
    For Indexes it uses F4,F5,F6,F7,F8. The description of the formulas is mentioned when you run the command.

Sometimes when you run reorgchk again,formulas are calculated based on the values changed by the previous run of reorgchk.

If the number on the column that has an asterisk is close to the recommended value described in the header of each section and one reorganization attempt has already been done, you can probably skip a reorganization on that table or index.

In your case,the value of F6 is 111 and the value should be < 100...so it's ok to skip a reorg.

Rajesh.

Originally posted by grofaty
    Hi,

On Windows XP I use DB2 v7.2 fp5.
    1. I checked the "reorgchk": reorgchk on table schema.tablename
    2. Reorg table: reorg table schema.tablename index schema.indexname
    3. Runstats: runstats on table schema.tablename with distribution and detailed indexes all
    4. Reorgchk again: reorgchk on table schema.tablename

Code:
    CREATOR  NAME                 CARD  LEAF  LVLS ISIZE   KEYS   F4   F5  F6 REORG
    Table: schema.tablename
    schema  indexname            67555   226     3     4  67555  100   87  111 --*
    My question: Why is the "*" character in REORG column indicating a reorg is neeaded, after I did the REORG?

Thanks,
    Grofaty

Hi,

1. Before reorg the F6 was 111.
    2. I have reorged the table.
    3. After reorg the F6 is the same 111!

Why? Is there somekind of bug?

Thanks,
    Grofaty

Hi Grofaty,

no bug. This simply tells you there is no need for reorg any more.

You can't please everyone - it basically just boils down to that. I normally consider a reorg from reorgchk only if there are at least two *, or if the table is not clustered according to the clustered index.

Johann

Originally posted by grofaty
    Hi,

1. Before reorg the F6 was 111.
    2. I have reorged the table.
    3. After reorg the F6 is the same 111!

Why? Is there somekind of bug?

Thanks,
    Grofaty

Hi jsander,

Thank you for your reply. It make sense!

Grofaty