Thumbs up Unanswered: Customizing reports

Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to replace a program that my title company uses to print our reports, by printing these reports directly from Filemaker Pro 5.0
    I've built several layouts corresponding to the different parts of our reports, and set the fields up to translate the data directly from our data entry screen to the layouts. The problem arises in getting these layouts to adapt to the varying demands of different reports. A deed chain can have anywhere from one to 20 prior owners, and I need the reports to customize themselves to list out the correct number of prior owners.
    The reports will list the chain of owners more or less like this (fields are in parentheses):

Owner1: (Owner's Name)
    Owner2: (2nd Owner's Name)

I've tried laying out the actual text on the reports (i.e. Owner 1, Owner 2, Owner 3) as buttons, and scripting them so that

If["IsEmpty(2ndOwner's Name)"]
    Cut [Owner2]
    End If.

I had wanted it to work so that the report wouldn't show a header like "Owner14" unless there were at least 14 owners, but I don't think the "Cut" command works like it would in a text editing program- I basically want the text to be deleted from the report if its corresponding field is empty. I thought of a way to get this to work, but my idea isn't very practical, since this is a very simplified example of the layouts.
    I had also noticed that Filemaker wouldn't slide objects onto spaces occupied by empty fields, is there a way around this??

Thank you in advance, any input is greatly appreciated.

Re: Customizing reports

Hi, Olsenrules! There's probably a better way but I'd recommend using a calculation field called "ownergeneration" for each corresponding owner field... so that's 20 calcluation fields. Each calc field checks to see if there's something in the corresponding ower field, and if there is, it puts a hard value of "Owner1" or "Owner2", etc.

I don't know buttons well, but I'd also avoid using the CUT function.

Your BODY on the layout will be big because of all those fields, but just select them all and use the SLIDING feature to tell them to slide up (I think based on ALL THE ABOVE, but you may have to play with that as there are a couple options). The particular trick you weren't using was the option to also REDUCE THE SIZE OF THE ENCLOSING PART. That'll shrink the BODY to be the size of the existing data.

Hope this helps!
    --ST

Yo Steve, you'tha mayne, meng. It took me a little bit to script the calculation right, but now I can finally move on with this project. By the way, if I run into other problems, should I post them as a new thread or just add to this one??

Thanx again.

Originally posted by Olsenrules
    problems, should I post them as a new thread or just add to this one??
    Hi, Olsenrules! Actually, I dunno but I'd guess a new post... I'm only an infrequent visitor here. I spend more time on another forums board that just does FileMaker. I like this one because I can learn about other database technologies, too, but I only a few of us seem to use both. The other one has a lot more FileMaker action, though, since it is wholely dedicated to it and has a truckload of specialized FileMaker subject areas, whereas this one, great as it is, is just "FileMaker".
    --ST