Unanswered: msaccess.exe takes up processor indefinitely

I have a situation with a Windows 2000 Server running Terminal Services. We have a number of users using Access databases that are controlled by a VB app. When a user starts the VB app, it automatically starts access, waiting for the user to select the database they wish to work in. If they do not select a database, the msaccess.exe remains in the task manager taking up 25% of the processor. This will remain there until they close down the VB app and the access session, or select a database and begin working in it.

I am not sure whether it is a Server problem or an Access problem, but it is causing much grief, because as soon as I have 4 users starting the VB app without selecting a database, it takes up 100% of the processor and slows all other users down.

Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Paul2K

Take a look at the Shell routine within your VB application which starts each Access session. It may not be letting go of the started instance of Access.

msaccess.exe takes up processor indefinitely

Originally posted by CyberLynx
    Take a look at the Shell routine within your VB application which starts each Access session. It may not be letting go of the started instance of Access.
    Yes the Vb app does hang on the the access session because we want it to. The VB app has been set up to keep only one instance of Access open so if the user switches to another database, it will close the existing one in the current instance of access and then open the new database. This is not the problem though as I tested access without the VB app and it does the exact same thing. We are using Access97, just wondering whether it is the same with 2000?

Re: msaccess.exe takes up processor indefinitely

After further investigation, it turns out that Access 97 works this way, as indicated by this KB article: -

http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

Access 2000 does not. Looks like we'll have to upgrade.