Unanswered: rollback tablespace size

Donít ask me how this happened because I canít figure it out. Over the weekend our rollback tablespace grew from 3G to 12G. We has some folks in over the weekend working and all I can figure out is someone did not commit very often.

Now that is the humorous side of the story, but now Iím faced with a problem. I need to get the size of the data files back down to 3G. The rollback tablespace has three data files (rbs01.dbf rbf02.dbf and rbs03.dbf). When the database was first created we only had one data file. More were added later to support 30 rollback segments.

At first I was thinking about just adding another rollback tablespace with rollback segments then drop the old rollback tablespace. But the problem with that is the system rollback segment is in rbs. Has anyone tried adding another system rollback segment? Or moving a rollback segment to another tablespace. Anyone think there might be a way to do this?

My other options is to put all the rollback segments offline then drop them (except for the system rollback segment) then drop rbs02.dbf and rbs03.dbf. Hopefully the system rollback segment will not have migrated to either of these two data files. After removing the two data files I can recreate all my rollback segments and add in correctly sized date files. Any other sudjustions? This is my production database and I have a requirement to move a copy of it to our test box, that does not have the disk space to deal with this.

Thanks in advance.
    -Rob

bounce db then shrink accordingly.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Re: rollback tablespace size

Originally posted by oraclewizard
    ...But the problem with that is the system rollback segment is in rbs. Has anyone tried adding another system rollback segment? Or ...
    Are you sure that you have system rollback segment in RBS?
    Because System rollback segment only resides in System tablespace.
    Bhavin

MS Computer Science
    OCP DBA 9i/8i

Good point Hings.

Please provide Oracle version and OS.

Are you using RBS or UNDO?
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...