building a 10 Terabyte datawarehouse

I am designing a 100 node, 4 server (2 network servers, 1 ecommerce server, and 1 datawarehouse server) network. In our datawarehouse it has to be 10 terabytes of storage space. I need to know some system specs for this server and companies that use these systems. The project leader wants me to prove that someone else uses this set of hardware, but will not give me anything to go on.

Also if you could give me specs on small network servers that will be running an email program, dhcp, domain controller, and file server for this network. There will be 2 of these.

Also I need to know of a good place to get a tape library so that we can back up the 10 terabytes of the datawarehouse and the 3 other servers.

Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

There are a number of 10+ TB databases in production. They run on every major database platform, and several of the odd products too.

My suggestion would be to either check the database vendor web sites for whitepapers on VLDB datawarehouses. Some vendors include IBM, Microsoft, and Oracle, along with many others. Another possible source would be if your company subscribes to the services of any of the consultancies such as the Gartner Group, they offer whitepapers with different biases than the vendors do.

-PatP

Re: building a 10 Terabyte datawarehouse

Originally posted by Thalen
    I am designing a 100 node, 4 server (2 network servers, 1 ecommerce server, and 1 datawarehouse server) network. In our datawarehouse it has to be 10 terabytes of storage space. I need to know some system specs for this server and companies that use these systems. The project leader wants me to prove that someone else uses this set of hardware, but will not give me anything to go on.

Also if you could give me specs on small network servers that will be running an email program, dhcp, domain controller, and file server for this network. There will be 2 of these.

Also I need to know of a good place to get a tape library so that we can back up the 10 terabytes of the datawarehouse and the 3 other servers.

Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.
    Hewlet Packard has good solutions. It is what we use. Call them. They will be glad to help you.