Unanswered: Access DB as the Front End for other Access DBs

Hi guys,
    I have a problem and need some good advice.

We have four Access Databases – each of them produces different reports and stores different data , but there are some “common” reports or reports that use reports from other DB as sub reports or some Static tables (like Date, Departments etc).

So we were thinking about creating one more DB to work as a front end for all four of them. But when we did some testing it doesn’t look so easy 

We tried to run reports from External DB using VBA (DAO) code in the FE and it really doesn’t work nicely. There is problem with forms prompting for parameters, minimasing or maximasing applications, previewing reports etc.

So are we probably going to move all reports and forms to the FE DB and feed them with data from tables and queries from other four DBs.

And I just wanted to ask if anyone here has built something like that (Access DB as a front end for a few other Access DBs (all in A97)) or maybe you know any web sites where I can find some information about that.

I would appreciate any suggestions and help

Thank you for your time guys

Just LINK all the of DBs tables to you front end and recreate you reports and queries in the new DB as if the tables were local. You shouldn't have any problems. I have done this several times and it works great

S-

Provided Answers: 5
    I do it all the time. That is the beauty of Access the front end - Forms, queries, reports, modules and the backend (the data)

the backend can be more than one mdb - presently our "mission critical" application utilizes 4 backend databases. You should be fine (pending these backend mdb's aren't more than say 700 mb each)

Re: Access DB as the Front End for other Access DBs

I do this quite often to lesson the load on all my databases. That way if a table from on database is not being access there is no load on that database. When you have many users and a problem with corruption then this helps since it won't bring all your data down.

Something I would suggest. Link them all into one then if the reports are the same, but you don't want to integrate the two tables (from the different database) then you could just union query those tables and use one report to that query. Or you can export your reports using VBA code. I export my reports to excel or vb and format them through code. That way I can call several different tables and I'm not limited by MS Access gui inteface.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by amigos
    Hi guys,
    I have a problem and need some good advice.

We have four Access Databases – each of them produces different reports and stores different data , but there are some “common” reports or reports that use reports from other DB as sub reports or some Static tables (like Date, Departments etc).

So we were thinking about creating one more DB to work as a front end for all four of them. But when we did some testing it doesn’t look so easy 

We tried to run reports from External DB using VBA (DAO) code in the FE and it really doesn’t work nicely. There is problem with forms prompting for parameters, minimasing or maximasing applications, previewing reports etc.

So are we probably going to move all reports and forms to the FE DB and feed them with data from tables and queries from other four DBs.

And I just wanted to ask if anyone here has built something like that (Access DB as a front end for a few other Access DBs (all in A97)) or maybe you know any web sites where I can find some information about that.

I would appreciate any suggestions and help

Thank you for your time guys