Unanswered: hiding "no access" records

i have an extensive sales leads database that was single user, and now is multiple user. i know i can limit the viewable records to match the salesmans name with passwords. but how do i hide the resulting multitude of "no access" records. i have tens of scripts, sorts and finds built into this thing. i would rather not redo everything to force a "find by salesman name" before every single operation. a simple 'find all' will display all 475 'no access' records. ugly.

Re: hiding "no access" records

Hi, karl88! I'm afraid I don't really use Access Privileges so am ill-advised to help but I'm guessing you DO have to re-edit your scripts since you are changing an important aspect of the database going from single-user to multi-user. I suppose you could just give each salesperson their own database but have each one related to a "master" database that will give you access to all of their info, but they cannot peek at each other's info.

Wish I could help more...
    --ST

Re: hiding "no access" records

Originally posted by karl88
    i have an extensive sales leads database that was single user, and now is multiple user. i know i can limit the viewable records to match the salesmans name with passwords. but how do i hide the resulting multitude of "no access" records. i have tens of scripts, sorts and finds built into this thing. i would rather not redo everything to force a "find by salesman name" before every single operation. a simple 'find all' will display all 475 'no access' records. ugly.

I feel your pain. the first time I used these features in FileMaker 5.5, I ran into the same problems. The short of it is that I dislike the way FileMaker deals with securing 'user-specific' data. I still use this method, but only as a backup to the method that I'm about to outline.

The key (parden the pun), to your solution is in the key fields. When working in a solution such as yours, almost all my lists are viewed through portals- becuase I can control which records are displayed (thus I choose not to display the records I do not have access to).

I suspect that you are validating through a calculation like if Current User = Salesman. Now you just need to create a portal with the same values and then you will only see 'your' records.

This topic will quickly get into working with complex keys and multikeys. There are a number of articles on both of those issues, but if you need help drop me a message at joe@svkingpen.com

thanks,

Joe

PS - I may have a file that already does what you are looking for, give me some more details