Smile Unanswered: is this possible? ...not an SQL master

Hi,

I am trying to figure out the best way to reformat the record entries in a database.

In the source data table on the server, all field types have been defined as 'text' (for some reason), and I need to pull these data out and create a new table with appropriate datatype definitions for the fields.

Also, two fields are mixed alpha-numeric, while there should really be separate fields for the alpha values.

I have attached a copy of a screenshot with some notes.

Thanks in advance to anyone who sees the easy way to do this!

cheers,
    Rick
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: is this possible? ...not an SQL master

An example:

INSERT INTO newtable (county, route, px_back, backpm)
    SELECT county, integer(route), CASE WHEN SUBSTR('098',LENGTH('098')) > 'A' THEN SUBSTR('098', 1, LENGTH('098') -1) ELSE null END, CASE WHEN SUBSTR('098R',LENGTH('098R')) > 'A' THEN SUBSTR('098R', LENGTH('098R')) ELSE null END FROM oldtable

Assumes that the character is always the last position and length of 1.

Originally posted by entangled
    Hi,

I am trying to figure out the best way to reformat the record entries in a database.

In the source data table on the server, all field types have been defined as 'text' (for some reason), and I need to pull these data out and create a new table with appropriate datatype definitions for the fields.

Also, two fields are mixed alpha-numeric, while there should really be separate fields for the alpha values.

cheers,
    Rick

HI,

try to use decode(substr(backPM,length(backPM)-1,1),'R',substr(backPM,1,length(backPM)-1,backPM)

and use the same formula for AheadPM column

Originally posted by entangled
    Hi,

cheers,
    Rick

Thank you for the example. This one example pretty much addresses both issues. I will work with this and see how I can apply this approach.

many thanks,
    Rick Sperling

Originally posted by dmmac
    An example:

INSERT INTO newtable (county, route, px_back, backpm)
    SELECT county, integer(route), CASE WHEN SUBSTR('098',LENGTH('098')) > 'A' THEN SUBSTR('098', 1, LENGTH('098') -1) ELSE null END, CASE WHEN SUBSTR('098R',LENGTH('098R')) > 'A' THEN SUBSTR('098R', LENGTH('098R')) ELSE null END FROM oldtable

Assumes that the character is always the last position and length of 1.