Unanswered: DAO Table linking problem. Permissions?

Hi

FYI, this is my first posting on any board and Im far from an expert in VBA and Access so dont assume too much knowledge.

I have adapted some code from the net that creates a table link from an MDE to an Access database. The reason for this is that there are two databases that store data same type but which is site specific (i.e. same table design, site specific data). The reason we went for two databases rather than one is that cross site data access speed has been a historical problem. The user can select which database to connect to. This allows a single front end, changing the table links rather than keeping two versions of the front end each with their own static table links.

However, although users are able to manually create links and open either of the two databases directly, when creating a linked table with DAO 3.6 there is an intermittent error message Could not link- File already in use. IT Support are keen to keep user rights to folders and files to a minimum does a DAO initiated link require more rights for the user than if linked manually? Or am I looking in the wrong area. The code certainly works except for the intermittent problem.

Any Help gratefully recieved. Thought I had a reasonsably elegant solution but at the moment it is more problematic than the original cross site issue...
    Last edited by pootle flump; 02-25-04 at 09:36.

I have done a lot of linking and relinking with DAO on different sites and have never had any (intermittant or otherwise) problems....

Regards

Oh dear. Didn't want to hear that. Thanks very much. Maybe the DAO stuff is a smokescreen. I seem to be able to link ok most of the time but users with limited rights get a 3050 error message "Could not lock File", regardless of whether or not there is an .ldb file. I've referred to knowledge base article http://support.microsoft.com/default...roduct=acc2000 which gave some clues. Not sure if it's related....

Originally posted by namliam
    I have done a lot of linking and relinking with DAO on different sites and have never had any (intermittant or otherwise) problems....

Regards
    Hi

In case you are interested, it got sorted. Nothing to do with DAO - had a closer look at the folder permissions. Everyone had create and delete rights but not modify; the first to link to the database was fine but no one else could edit the .ldb file, so it was effectivey locked.
    Always the simple explanation... cheers