Unhappy Unanswered: Warning message 1708

I use VB 6.0 with ADO 2.6 to access an SQL-server.
    I know that the table I wish to create generates this warning.

But from today ( without any changes to the SQL-server ) , this warning is reported as an error to the client instead of continuing.
    So my error trap routine traps this as an error now.

I have a workaround that I would to avoid and that's reinstalling the SQL-server ( Only the MSSQL ).

Does anybody know a better solution.

PS : Changing the table structure is not possible in this case.

Thnx in advance,

Sven Peeters
    Belgium

Provided Answers: 11
    So, you can not change the table structure, but you can re-install SQL Server? Now I don't feel so bad about the craziness in my job, anyway. For reference, here is warning 1708:

Warning: The table '%.*ls' has been created but its maximum row size (%d) exceeds the maximum number of bytes per row (%d). INSERT or UPDATE of a row in this table will fail if the resulting row length exceeds %d bytes.

First of all, you should be sure that you are not going to actually hit that 8000 bytes or so. If you do, you will have a bunch of explaining to do in front of the users. If you could break up the table into two or more tables, that may help you out.

Outside of that, can you put in the error checking routine to resume next, if YourConnectionObject.errors.item(1).number = 1708?

That's still working around the problem.
    If reinstalling the SQL-server does solve the problem, it should be a setting there.
    I already tried reducing the severity of this error ( editing sysmessages ) but without good result.
    The VB6 application is in acceptation phase so we cannot change one letter of code.