Question Unanswered: SGA in Oracle9.2.0.4

I have installed Oracle9.2.0.4 in AIX 5.2. The total available memory in the system is 2GB. I want to increase the SGA to 300MB. How do i do this?

set sga_max_size in your init.ora file to the maximum value you would want the sga to be and then you can resize the sga dynamically without having to restart the database.

Alan

Re: SGA in Oracle9.2.0.4

In oracle 9, you can change it dynamically:

alter system set max_sga_size=300M scope=both
    alter system set shared_pool_size=300M scope=both

Originally posted by jaya_nair
    I have installed Oracle9.2.0.4 in AIX 5.2. The total available memory in the system is 2GB. I want to increase the SGA to 300MB. How do i do this?

I think its sga_max_size and you cant do scope=both, it has to be either scope=spfile or in your init.ora i.e. not dynamic : (.

Alan

You're right Alan, i made a mistake :
    sga_max_size is not dynamic but i think scope=both is ok if you have specified a spfile in your init or i'm making another mistake ?

and if you just want to change now scope can be memory for the shared_pool_size

Originally posted by AlanP
    I think its sga_max_size and you cant do scope=both, it has to be either scope=spfile or in your init.ora i.e. not dynamic : (.

Alan

You can only do scope=both for dynamic parameters like shared_pool_size. There have been a lot of occasions where I wish it was dynamic though : (.

Alan

Thanks for precisions Alan

Originally posted by AlanP
    You can only do scope=both for dynamic parameters like shared_pool_size. There have been a lot of occasions where I wish it was dynamic though : (.

Alan