Unanswered: SQL 2000 Connection Confusion

Does SQL server 2000 always use TCP/IP and port 1433 to make connections?

More details related to the above question:
    I've got MSSQL server 2000 running and we have a firewall. When I'm testing locally on the server I can telnet to localhost on 1433 and connect. However, when I'm testing remotely, I cannot connect on port 1433. However I can make a Query Analyzer connection remotely. !?!?!???

The reason why I'm asking this is I'm trying to set up a Linux connection to MSSQL using FreeTDS.

Thanks,

cudabean

Its possible the firewall has Stateflow Packet Filtering or whatever its called forget the words, but it probably insprects the packets for sql data connection only and telnet type of connection it blocks out as being an illegal packet request.

Originally posted by Turismon
    Its possible the firewall has Stateflow Packet Filtering or whatever its called forget the words, but it probably insprects the packets for sql data connection only and telnet type of connection it blocks out as being an illegal packet request.
    Hmm. A bit of searching and I found Stateful Packet Filtering, which I've never heard of before, but it might be a possibility. So if that were the case, then telnet <server> 1433 would not be useful for testing. Hmmm... I get "connection refused" when I do this. I wonder if this means something as opposed to receiving nothing then timeout? Anyway, thanks for the info.

cudabean
    Last edited by cudabean; 02-26-04 at 03:05.