Unanswered: analyze blocking DML???

I've got a procedure to do analyze table estimate statistics sample n rows which seems to be locking out sessions doing DML (running the usual blocking locks scripts doesnt show anything : ( ). According to Metalink this should only block DDL not DML. Has anyone else noticed this. Using Oracle 8.1.7.

Alan

Re: analyze blocking DML???

Hi Alan,

Do you use 'analyze table/index validate structure' ? if so, it attempt to have a lock(TM) on the table.

Originally posted by AlanP
    I've got a procedure to do analyze table estimate statistics sample n rows which seems to be locking out sessions doing DML (running the usual blocking locks scripts doesnt show anything : ( ). According to Metalink this should only block DDL not DML. Has anyone else noticed this. Using Oracle 8.1.7.

Alan

Thats the problem I dont, I do 'analyze table estimate statistics sample n rows ' : (

It does do 'analyze table/index validate structure' but only on very small tables where the time taken to do the analyze wont impact on other sessions.

I can see that the it gets to do a 'analyze table estimate statistics sample n rows' on a large table (n is usually 80000 rows but this is for table > 500000 rows) and suddenly other sessions stop and hang waiting for the analyze to finish.

Alan