Unanswered: VB6 and SQL2k: Login Failed. Catalog information cannot be retrieved

Hi, I found an archived post with a very similar problem I'm having but the posted solution did'nt solve my problem. Does anyone have any ideas? I have sql2k, sp3, on win2k. I'm using vb6 with sp5 and mdac 2.8. This is my problem:
    Exactly what happens is that after I go in and create a new data project, open the data environment, right click on the connection, select MS OLE DB Provider for SQL Server, put the server name in, select 'use Windows
    NT security' (although I have also tried a specific user name and password), but when I select the database I want to connect to from the pulldown list I get the message 'Login Failed. Catalog information cannot be retrieved'. So I can't access the databases on the server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron
    p.s. below is the previous post and replies

Date: 01-03-02 07:19
    Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm getting this message when I try to connect to SQL Server 2k (running on a Win2k
    Server) from my Win2k workstation with VB (Visual Studio version 6). It appears that
    the login is somehow failing yet I can connect with Query analyzer or Enterprise
    manager (all using NT authentication), or even Excel just fine.

I've updated MDAC 6, tried using a specific user name that I know has full rights on
    SQL Server, always the same thing. Exactly what happens is that after I go in and
    create a new data project, open the data environment, right click on the connection,
    select MS OLE DB Provider for SQL Server, put the server name in, select 'use Windows
    NT security' (although I have also tried a specific user name and password), select
    the database I want to connect to from the pulldown list and all looks well at that
    point. Then I click 'Test connection' and I get 'test connection succeeded' and
    immediately after I get the message 'Login Failed. Catalog information cannot be
    retrieved' a bunch of times and I have to bring down my workstation.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Date: 01-04-02 05:19
    Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi,

Since SQL Server 2000 was released later than the Visual Studio 6.0, there are some
    incompatibility issues between SQL Server 2000 and
    VS6. To resolve this problem, you may install the latest service pack sp5 via this
    hyperlink:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/sp/vs6sp5/

For more info, please refer to this article:

Q266277 PRB: Using VS 6.0 and Access 2000 Visual Database Tools
    http://support.microsoft.com/suppor...s/q266/2/77.asp

Hope this helps!

TEST Simon Liao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Last edited by RonDog; 02-26-04 at 15:19.