Unanswered: Fenced vs. Not Fenced

Could someone please explain to me the difference between a FENCED stored procedure versus one that is built NOT FENCED? From what I understand of the syntax, you can only set that option if you are building external stored procedures. And actually, if someone could explain an external stored procedure, that would be great, too.

And lastly, why would a shop prefer FENCED over NOT FENCED?

Thanks!!
    Anthony Robinson

"If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor here. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So, pretty please - with sugar on top..."

Basically a not-fenced SP runs in the DB2 address space. It usually performs better becasue of this, but can crash DB2 if a storage violation occurs.

Some people recommend testing the SP as fenced, and then when it is in good shape, convert it to not-fenced for addtional testing and production.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

So what's the scoop (difference) with External stored procs? From what I can see the only way to create a proc as FENED is to create an external proc...

Is my interpretation correct?
    Anthony Robinson

"If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor here. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So, pretty please - with sugar on top..."