Angry Unanswered: FILEPRO data export.

Hi,
    I sure someone must have heard of FilePro by FP Technologies. Anyways, were doing a project to setup a new SQL Server for this company. Their existing database is a File Pro system running on Unix.
    Now we need to import the existing data into our new SQL Database.
    I need to know if it is possible to export data from a File Pro DB into a text file or a CSV. There is no way to do this in the program itself.
    Any ideas, suggestions ??

Thank you

Vishal

Filepro

Yes, I would like to be able to do the same thing. I have only briefly looked at the file structure and right now I am trying to determine where the data is actually stored.

Quote Originally Posted by vkapoor1234
    Hi,
    I sure someone must have heard of FilePro by FP Technologies. Anyways, were doing a project to setup a new SQL Server for this company. Their existing database is a File Pro system running on Unix.
    Now we need to import the existing data into our new SQL Database.
    I need to know if it is possible to export data from a File Pro DB into a text file or a CSV. There is no way to do this in the program itself.
    Any ideas, suggestions ??

Thank you

Vishal

Today is your lucky day. I just Googled "filePro" to see where my site was listed and if there was anything new and I found your questions about 10 minutes ago.....

I can help you with *any* filePro problem you can possibly have, no bs.

The export problem you have is quite trivial (for me, anyway ). Of *course* you can export data from filePro into a CSV file! (import CVS data files into fP just as easily, too). I suspect that you two gentlemen do not have access to any kind of printed filePro manual, since the EXPORT command is clearly documented in it. No matter. The bottom line is that we can get you exporting your data in one of the following ways:

1) Lookup the EXPORT command in the manual. Through much trial and error, you can figure out how to create and run a processing-only report (and possibly a selection set - get my FAQ for sample code and docs) to create your CSV file.

2) Hire me to either create the processing-only report and e-mail the files back to you, plus step-by-step directions to use them

or

3) Hire me to log into your Unix box and do all of the programming directly on your system (this would be the fastest solution).

To help you with some of your basic filePro questions, send an e-mail to filepro-faq@hvcomputer.com and my autoresponder will send you the latest version of my filePro FAQ.

Good luck, and good night.

P.S. The actual data is stored in /appl/filepro/filename/ in the files named "key" and "data". If the file uses qualifiers, there will be files like "keyabc" and "dataabc" if there is a qualifer named "abc". The file "map" gives you the field layout, but it would be easier to view and print this info in "1 - Define Files" from the main filePro menu "dpromenu".

P.S.S. What version of filePro are you running? (See the filePro FAQ for instructions to display the version number).
    ------
    Laura Brody

Quote Originally Posted by nealclonts
    Yes, I would like to be able to do the same thing. I have only briefly looked at the file structure and right now I am trying to determine where the data is actually stored.
    To help you with some of your basic filePro questions, send an e-mail to filepro-faq@hvcomputer.com and my autoresponder will send you the latest version of my filePro FAQ.

P.S. The actual data is stored in /appl/filepro/filename/ in the files named "key" and "data". If the file uses qualifiers, there will be files like "keyabc" and "dataabc" if there is a qualifer named "abc". The file "map" gives you the field layout, but it would be easier to view and print this info in "1 - Define Files" from the main filePro menu "dpromenu". If the data isn't in this standard location, you have to look at the contents of the /etc/default/fppath file. The first line of this file says where the filePro program files are located. Join the 2nd and 3rd lines together gives you the drive and subdirectory of the data files. (This info can also be superceeded by the environmental variables PFDATA, PFDIR, PFDSK, and PFPROG).

P.S.S. What version of filePro are you running? (See the filePro FAQ for instructions to display the version number).
    ------
    Laura Brody