Thread: School Db

School Db

Here is a problem that I have been working on. Any suggestions? We have all seen the single school database with a student, course, etc....but what if I have a database with multiple schools? should I assign a school_no to each student, and course, and parent table (etc), or should I create a new database for each school? then aallow the admin priviledges on each school?
    Many thanks to those who respond.

Re: School Db

Originally posted by the_tweaker69
    Here is a problem that I have been working on. Any suggestions? We have all seen the single school database with a student, course, etc....but what if I have a database with multiple schools? should I assign a school_no to each student, and course, and parent table (etc), or should I create a new database for each school? then aallow the admin priviledges on each school?
    Many thanks to those who respond.
    is there a reason that the diff schools might be using eachother's info - do they need to have access to info from other shools? if they do, then you probably need to assign a school_no ...

~gole_yas

Each school will have its own information, and should not be able to view other schools' info. It is similar to a school in New York that has its own info, and a school in Los Angeles that will have its own. I also see this problem similar to a Credit Card system or maybe a bank. As a customer, I can log into their web site, and see my information, but not anyone else's. Do we all have our own individual database tables? Or do we all share one gigantic set of tables and have queries done based upon our user_ID (or login).

Thanks for replying,
    Tweaker

for the sake of querying your data, I think that it would be best if you gave each student a unique user ID. If you wanted to querry some data that would involve multiple schools, your sql statements will get ugly reall fast In addition, if you put all of your data in one database, quering the data will be faster.

hope this helpes

~gole_yas
    Last edited by gole_yas; 03-05-04 at 04:38.