Red face Unanswered: Summary Field does not update as expected

I am a newbie so please forgive my ignorance.

I created a simple database with a layout that identifies Credit Card and debit balance in the body. In the Footer i put a summary field that sums the balances of all the credit card records. Now, what i understood was that when the fields involved in the summary field are updated or a record is added the summary value will update. This does not happen.

What does happen is that when i change a balance record the summary goes blank until i click on the summary field itself ( I donot have this field selected in the tab order). This is not what i expected. I expected the summary field to update once i updated the balance field. Can someone please help me with this?

Thank You In Advance.

Re: Summary Field does not update as expected

I can't replicate the situation that you're encountering. But, try checking your "balance" field and see if it's "indexing" is turned off, on or set to index automaticly.
    This maybe also a result of the number of records that you are returning data on (slows down the summary field).
    Good luck

Originally posted by dmilbrath
    I am a newbie so please forgive my ignorance.

I created a simple database with a layout that identifies Credit Card and debit balance in the body. In the Footer i put a summary field that sums the balances of all the credit card records. Now, what i understood was that when the fields involved in the summary field are updated or a record is added the summary value will update. This does not happen.

What does happen is that when i change a balance record the summary goes blank until i click on the summary field itself ( I donot have this field selected in the tab order). This is not what i expected. I expected the summary field to update once i updated the balance field. Can someone please help me with this?

Thank You In Advance.
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

Summary Field does on update as expected

Thank you for your reply.

I do not understand why the Summary Field Total Debt is acting the way it is, but i did check my Balance field It was set to:

Indexing Off
    Turn indexing On as needed

Once i unchecked:

Turn indexing On as needed

I retested a Balance field data change, this time as before the Total Debt Summary field went blank if i Tabbed out of Balance to the next Tabbed field (just as before). if i use my mouse to click outside of the Balance Field or use my mouse to click into an other field the Summary field does update without me having to use my mouse to click in the Summary field. This is the same behavior. Next I tried the following changes to the balance field:

Indexing On

Results: Same behavior as stated above.

I only have 12 records in this file. The Balance Field is a numeric field only formatted with decimals and dollar signs and is in the Body of the layout.

The Summary Field is named Total Debt and is in the "Grand Summary" layout part.
    I even changed the "Grand Summary" part to "Footer" and retested but again the behavior of the summary field was as stated above. I have dowloaded the latest updates for my software.

Next, i created a test file with 3 records and 3 fields balance, name, Total Debt. I populated fields with test data and still got the same performance as stated above. This does not seem like the correct way for a summary field to act. Why would a user want to be forced to click on the field or outside of the field to see change, logically when i tab out of a related field the change should be reflected in the summary field (or so i would think).

Again, Thank you for your help but the problem is still unresolved.

Any further help you or anyone else can provide will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by dmilbrath; 02-28-04 at 09:44.

Re: Summary Field does not update as expected

Howdy, howdy! I just created a summary field to total a number field and it worked exactly as you had intended. I put the summary field in both the footer and the Trailing Grand Summary and neither time did it not work. The only thing I could think of that might be affecting you that I was quasi-able to reproduce was to make the physical size of the field too small to show its contents properly. I got a ? instead of the answer (OLD version of FMP and maybe now it's just blank), but I was able to view the answer if I clicked in the field. Try stretching the field to be significantly larger than you need just to give it plenty of room and see if that helps.

The summary field should work exactly as you thought it would. If stretching the field does not work, maybe make a new database of just 2 fields: a number field and a summary field that totals it and see if that works okay. It should work just fine, and that may help you track down what's wrong in the other.

Good luck!
    --ST

Red face Summary Field does not act as expected

No solutions i have been given to date resolve my problem. I appreciate the help but i am surpised no one is able to emulate the situation.

All my test and even the examples provided by my text result in the summary field acting in the same puzzling manner.

I even have uninstalled and reinstalled my FileMaker 6.0 Software. Still on a simple layout with a balance field and a summary field and 2 records, the summary field goes blank when i change the balance field values, it stays blank until i click my mouse somewhere in the body of the layout.

This happens if the summary field is in the body, leading summary or trailing summary parts of the layout. Is this the way it is supposed to update (not the way i read the text)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Last edited by dmilbrath; 02-29-04 at 14:55.

Re: Summary Field does not act as expected

SORRY, SORRY, SORRY... I did not read your 2nd post carefully enough 'cuz it talked about indexing and stuff and I did not think that was relevant. I was surprised that you still had trouble so I went back re-read what you had been saying.

You are not crazy and there is nothing wrong with your installation of FileMaker... Well, you may disagree and want to complain to FileMaker, Inc., but I think you can stop worrying about it and just say, "that's lame!". I thought it was not working unless you clicked in it, but I see that later you said you must click out of it to see it's results and that you were tabbing to other fields but staying in data entry mode... but this is normal. I understand your assumption and desire, however.

My guess is that it does not show a new answer immediately because it involves many records and (in theory) could take a relatively long time to calculate. A calculation field, on the other hand, typically just deals with 1 record so can display its results immediately and changes as soon as any component changes. The summary field probably waits for you to finish working with the record before accessing the values of other records since it doesn't know how long it would take. If it were to take even a couple seconds, this could really annoy data entry folks who would have to pause every time they put something in that field before moving to the next field.

Sorry, again... IMHO, there isn't a way around this one.
    --ST

Talking Summary field does not behave as expected

Thank You for your help;

I guess i took my text and the text provided with the software to literally. After your explanation i understand what could be going on in the data entry mode. I presumed that when i tabbed out of the summary related field that the summary field would update then (i only had 3 records in my test), not after i left the record or left the data entry mode. I guess it just shows my ignorance.... but thanks to your help and people like you and forums like this i am gaining knowledge.

Again Thank you.