Question Unanswered: Importing an SQL Server Database

Hi there,
    I am a new member to this board and also a new to the field of Oracle, during switching over to oracle I come to face the problem of importing my existing databases which are in SQL Server to the ORACLE 8i.
    Please if any one can help.
    Thanking you in anticipation.
    RGDS
    Amit Kanodia

bcp out and prepare the flat files for sqlldr which is the equivalent to bcp

You can also use snapshot replication to get sql server to push data to your oracle database. You just need to setup the oracle odbc/ole db drivers on your sql server.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/de...ql7interop.asp

Alan

Should be able to DTS the tables straight in. Never actually done it with Oracle, although I have done it to an Ingres DB before. - should be the same principals though, just a diff target
    Regards
    Dbabren

All the above will work.... If you have dates in SQLServer, then you will need to do a conversion on them. I have found it easier to create DTS job to write to a flat file (comma or tab delimited). Using Oracle's SQLLoader, create a control file to manipulate my data and load it into Oracle ...

It's all in what you are comfortable with though.... I've been loading data into Oracle for a number of years and like the flexiblity of SQLLoader (similar to BCP)

HTH
    Gregg

Thanks a lot,
    with the help of DTS i had ported the data in oracle..
    But the dates is SQL Server are in MM/dd/yyyy format and in oracle these are dd-MON-yy , so is this DTS automatically converts the SQL Server date into ORACLE Dates or we have to take care of this.

You'll have to do the conversion