Question Unanswered: Export SQL Server Database to Oracle

Hi there,
    I have a problem of exporting the SQL Server 2000 database to Oracle 8i. Can anyone help regarding this??
    Please help....
    Thanking you in anticipation
    RGDS
    Amit

have done this from oracle8 --> sql 2000, and wasnt bad at all.

Your main concern will be with the datatype mappings - look for mappings of oracle datatypes to sql...
    DTS should map fairly accurately though - but particular ones need special attention ... (i recall birthdates not coming across at all)
    (I have only done oracle to sql, not the other way around)

Assuming you have triggers/procs etc. you are going to need to go through your code quite thoroughly to transalte it into working pl/sql.,..
    oracle is a lot more object oriented than transact sql...prob easiest if you condense it into fairly ansi standard sql first if possible, as both (sql/oracle) have unique special features...

good luck
    des

hi des,
    Thanks a lot. Through DTS it worked but DTS is not able to convert the stred procedures and triggers etc. It only converts the Tables and views.
    can u help in converting stored procedures as we have almost 30-40 stored procedures and it is rather difficult and time consuming job to recreate and rewrite all the procedures in oracle.
    Thanking u in anticipation.
    RGDS
    Amit

Dear Amit,

You can find some tools like www.swissql.com, www.ispirer.com, etc.
    to convert the sprocs, triggers. Hope this is helpful.

All The Best!
    Jake

Originally posted by amitkanodia
    hi des,
    Thanks a lot. Through DTS it worked but DTS is not able to convert the stred procedures and triggers etc. It only converts the Tables and views.
    can u help in converting stored procedures as we have almost 30-40 stored procedures and it is rather difficult and time consuming job to recreate and rewrite all the procedures in oracle.
    Thanking u in anticipation.
    RGDS
    Amit