Unanswered: Operation must use an updateable query

Hello,

I am trying to update an access table (97) based on a linked table (odbc).

Here is the query:

UPDATE Combined INNER JOIN BSPAPI_TIBS_TRANS_MRKT ON (Combined.State = BSPAPI_TIBS_TRANS_MRKT.ST) AND (Combined.locality = BSPAPI_TIBS_TRANS_MRKT.CITY) SET Combined.county = [bspapi_tibs_trans_mrkt].[county];

combined = access table
    bspapi_tibs_trans_mrkt = linked table

Everything looks ok to me, but when I run it, I get the following error:

"Operation must use an updateable query."

If I change the query to a select using the same join, it runs fine. If I change the Set parameter to a static value, it fails with the same error.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    Craig Dols

I am not sure exactly which situations work and which ones don't, but typically Access needs more information about the tables and how they relate to one another. You can try setting up a relationship between the tables. Or, depending on the data, set up indexes on your tables. Adding unique indexes (No Duplicates).

You can tell if a query is updateable by creating a Select query and then trying to manually change data in a field. You will see in the status whether or not the query is updateable.

Another way I use to update info, when nothing else works (when using Grouping) is to make an intermediate table. Create a Make Table query that puts the results of your query into a table. Then try the Update query using the table instead of the query.