Unanswered: DB2 Database Size

How Do I find out the size of DB2 Database on Z/OS or OS390

Re: DB2 Database Size

i think databases in db2 on z/os or os390 can't have a size it's 'only' a logical room for tablespaces which can have a huge size (version 7 -> 16tb and i think more). ok u can say the size of a database is to sum up the allocated space of all tablespaces within a database !

hope this help !

regards

marc gaines

Originally posted by jayan
    How Do I find out the size of DB2 Database on Z/OS or OS390

DB2 Database Size

How do we handle the space occupied by Index's?

Databases on z/OS and 390 are completely different than on other DB2 platforms. A database on z/OS is just an administrative grouping of tables within one sub-system. Table names must be unique across all databases in a sub-system.

If you want the size of the data in the whole DB2 subsystem, you could do the following:

1. Make sure runstats is run on all tables and indexes (including the catalog). Calculate the size of the tables and indexes based on the number of rows * row length plus overhead.

2. If you use stogroups, run the stospace utility.

3. Look at the size of the underlying VSAM datasets which you should be able identify by a naming convention used for DB2 objects.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

DB2 Database Size

Dont you think finding out all Tablespaces in a Database and then finding out their size would be a appropriate method of determining the size rather than doing row count * row length. Bcoz determing overheads is difficult. when u consider tablespace size it would also account for the page free space and other overheads?

That depends on "why" you want to know the size (what you intend to do with the information). Also, you may have some tablespaces with a lot of empty pages if they haven't been reorged lately. But if you want to know the actual space currently allocated, look at the VSAM datasets or the stospace utility (if you use stogroups).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390