Unanswered: Characters Remaining

Is it possible to have a characters remaining alert? While a user is typing (in a form, in a text box), when they are within say 10 characters of the field limit, alert and say "10 left".
    Life's a bowl of punch, go ahead and spike it.

Re: Characters Remaining

Originally posted by DawG
    Is it possible to have a characters remaining alert? While a user is typing (in a form, in a text box), when they are within say 10 characters of the field limit, alert and say "10 left".
    Depending on the "size" specified you could do something in the OnChange event to update say a label displaying your message ...

the problem i am running into is that you have to stop typing for it to update, ie. chaning fields or hitting a button. I can't figure out how to update it while typing.

the problem i am running into is that you have to stop typing for it to update, ie. chaning fields or hitting a button. I can't figure out how to update it while typing.
    That is if you issue an "alert" as a message box yes ... BUT, if you only update a label there should be very little pause ...

so, using OnUpdate should allow me to update a label as I type?

I ask because I have set this up to use OnUpdate, but it does not update until I click out then back.
    Last edited by DawG; 03-01-04 at 12:39.

so, using OnUpdate should allow me to update a label as I type?

I ask because I have set this up to use OnUpdate, but it does not update until I click out then back.
    No. The OnChange event ... OnUpdate doesn't exist as an event for a textbox control (at least with the Access 2002 version).

Provided Answers: 1
    Use the "On Key Press" event. Then you can evaluate LEN() with each press. There's probably a less proc-intensive way to do it, but I'm not sure what it would be.