Unanswered: Probably easy question on transaction logs
I have a transaction log that is 1311 Mb in size. I'd like to reduce it. From what I have read, I should just backup the entire database (or simply the transaction log) and it should reset the transaction log.
Either I can't read, I forget things (it's been a while since I read on that subject) or there's something wrong because a backup didn't empty my transaction log at all. It's still the exact same size!!!
The only way I found to successfully delete every bit of data in a transaction log was to detach the database, delete the log file and re-attach the database.
Are you using SQL 2000?
If so you can do that by the following
- Go to DB properties and change the backup type to FULL
- Take a backup of the database and keep it safe.
- Go to DB properties again change the backup type to SIMPLE
- Go to all tasks and Shrink the file
- Go to DB properties again and change the backup type to FULL again so that it logs everything.