Question Unanswered: SQL Conversion to MSDE

I have a SQL 6.2 database that I want to move off of my server and onto a standalone workstation. It is rarely used, but still needs to be available for referencing the old data.

Is it possible to run that database on a standalone XP Pro machine using the Desktop engine? Maybe there are some conversion utilities out there?

Please HELP?!?!

Lisa

You need at least version 6.5 of SQL Server to upgrade to SQL 2000. And because MSDE has the same engine, this means that you'll need the 6.5 version. Maybe you can create a kind of text files to export existing data and then recreate your database schema in SQL 2000/MSDE and import the data.
    Johan

Originally posted by jora
    You need at least version 6.5 of SQL Server to upgrade to SQL 2000. And because MSDE has the same engine, this means that you'll need the 6.5 version. Maybe you can create a kind of text files to export existing data and then recreate your database schema in SQL 2000/MSDE and import the data.
    So, if I can upgrade the database to 6.5, then upgrade to 2000, I should be able to use the database with the MSDE engine?

Can I upgrade without doing an import?

Lisa

I don't know how the upgrade from 6.2 to 6.5 works, but if you get this point with your database and data, it will get into SQL 2000 as well without a separate export/import. You can find more info in Books Online.
    I do think you'll need a regular "SQL Server" to perform this upgrade with the wizard that's installed with it. You can then move the database to the msde. Maybe someone else knows how to skip the step of the regular database.
    Johan

I don't recall MS SQL Server 6.2...I started with 6.0, then there was 6.5...Did I skip a version or 2?

Now there was 4.2 for OS/2!!!!!!! And 4.2a for Windows 3.5! Is that what you're talking about?