Unanswered: error in adding containers in tablespace

Hi,

I'm using DB2 v 7.2 on windows2000 server.

Its about 100GB sized DMS database.

When one tablespace was 99% full, I tried adding more containers in it.

Two containers were added successfully, and the tablespace came down to 65% full.
    But on adding 3rd container, it gave error SQL 0258N which is "Containers cannot be added while a rebalance of the table space is pending or in progress". I tried doing it again after waiting for some time but the same error is repeating.

Can someone suggest what should be done in this case.

Thanks a lot for any responses,
    -Preeti

Re: error in adding containers in tablespace

You should wait for the rebalancer process to finish before adding the new container.

As another idea; why not add all three containers in one go; this way rebalance will happen only once.

You can use get snapshot command to get information about the reblance process on particular tablespace.

dollar

Originally posted by preetim
    Hi,

Two containers were added successfully, and the tablespace came down to 65% full.
    But on adding 3rd container, it gave error SQL 0258N which is "Containers cannot be added while a rebalance of the table space is pending or in progress". I tried doing it again after waiting for some time but the same error is repeating.

-Preeti

You'll have to wait, I think ..

Do list tablespaces show detail command ... When the tablespace gets to Normal, you can add one ...

Rebalance is a very I/O intensive process ... Hence you should always add all containers you wish in one go ...

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by preetim
    Hi,

-Preeti
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Thanks for your quick reply.
    Get snapshot is a good idea. This is what I wanted to know (how to check the status of this rebalance and whether its in some error state).

Originally posted by dollar489
    You should wait for the rebalancer process to finish before adding the new container.

As another idea; why not add all three containers in one go; this way rebalance will happen only once.

You can use get snapshot command to get information about the reblance process on particular tablespace.

dollar

dollar,
    To which snapshot does rebalance report to ?

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

It's the snapshot of tablespaces. There are four or five counters for it - start time, how many pages to move, how many are moved and one or two more counters. As far as I think, these counters only shows up if rebalance is in progress but I could be wrong.

dollar

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    dollar,
    To which snapshot does rebalance report to ?

Cheers
    Sathyaram