Unanswered: Restore Oracle db 7.2.

Hallo,
    I have database backup from Oracle 7.2.... OS IRIX 5.6(??). System is dead. It is posible restore this data to Personal Oracle version 8 or 9 Windows version ? Have you any idea how solve this problem ?

Thanks Tonda

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >I have database backup from Oracle 7.2.... OS IRIX 5.6(??).
    What flavor of "backup"?
    If export, then YES it can be recovered.
    If not from export, then you are out of options.

Tonda, if you have a "complete" cold backup of the data files, this could also work. By complete I mean, control files, pfiles, redo logs, archive logs, data files, etc. If you have all of this, you can start up an Ora 8 instance using the Ora 7 files, then run one of the upgrade (sql) scripts. Then you could upgrade to Ora 9 at that point.

JoeB

Originally posted by joebednarz
    Tonda, if you have a "complete" cold backup of the data files, this could also work. By complete I mean, control files, pfiles, redo logs, archive logs, data files, etc. If you have all of this, you can start up an Ora 8 instance using the Ora 7 files, then run one of the upgrade (sql) scripts. Then you could upgrade to Ora 9 at that point.

JoeB
    Hi, Joe

I guess you cannot do that even though you have "COMPLETE" cold backup, because here in this case, file system is different. I guess you cannot use the backup of diffrent filesystem on Windows. If I am wrong, then please let me know.

Thanks
    Bhavin

MS Computer Science
    OCP DBA 9i/8i

Yes, you are correct. I missed that in the original post....

JoeB