Thread: Data Conversion

Data Conversion

Hi all!

As you will see I am a non professional needing a little bit of help.

I have some name and address data that I have "dumped" into a dos file from a very old cp/m type formatted floppy disc.

I want to convert the data into a delimited text file to then import into Access

Unfortunately when viewed as a text file in Notepad the file has a lot of unwanted non printing characters and a fixed file import has not been to successful.

Is there a utility that will enable me to remove all of the unwanted characters and export the data as I want?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Jonti

Can you post the file or at least a few lines of it so we can see what your problems are? There are lots of "filter" programs that will clean up "interesting" data, but without more information I can't even give you a good suggestion.

Being a "living relic" that spent years programming on CP/M machines, I'd like to think that I've got a pretty good chance at solving your problem quickly and easily once I know what the problem is!

-PatP

Problem Fixed

Many thanks for your reply.

In the meantime I have found a program called Parse Rat which seems to do the job.

Cheers!

Jonti