Unanswered: if then statement

If a value on a table is in numeric form, is there a way to query that number into and an if then statement that will chanage it into a word.

Example:

if the number 123 = dog then how would you convert that 123 number into the word dog?

Any help is appreciated.

If you are literally wanting to change a number into a specific letter would probably require some VBA. Like in your example where 1=D and 2=O and 3=G.

But if you simply want to change a numeric into a character use:
    Char(fieldname)

You would do this in a query.

HTH
    texasalynn

Provided Answers: 1
    What rule dictates the character equivilent of the number? do you have another table where you can lookup 123 and find "dog"? Or is there only a few comparisons you need to make? If it's the first option, then you need to get the value through sql. Otherwise you can use an immediate if:

IIF(yourField = 123, "dog", IIF(yourField = 345, "cat", "default string"))

This would return "dog" for 123, "cat" for 345 and "default string" for any other number. You can nest as many IIF() statements together as you like.

when would i type the if statement. Would it be at the property level of that field or would it be in VBA?

Provided Answers: 1
    Originally posted by tjarvas
    when would i type the if statement. Would it be at the property level of that field or would it be in VBA?
    You could apply that to either the datasource for the report/form, or you can apply it to the individual field on the form/report level.

How do you apply it to the field level on the form? Is there a property that I would change?