Thread: onbar problem

Unanswered: onbar problem - then ontape?

I am using 9.4 UC2 on Redhat 9.0.
    I am trying to use onbar but I get this error. I can not find the file?

An unexpected error occurred: /opt/informix/lib/ibsad001.so: cannot open shared object$
    No such file or directory

Anyone? Any ideas?
    Last edited by stedlj; 03-02-04 at 17:10.

onbar status - Runnning?

Got pass that problem..

Is there a way to check on the status of onbar?

I have been checking the log file and know it started but then I get.
    "Warning: BAR_TIMEOUT unable to initialize connection to Storage Manager."

Which seems to only be a normal warning is there a way to check on what is done/being done, in megs, dbspace being worked on anything?

Even info about how much time per say meg or gig, would help for testing.

Thanks,
    James...

Did nothing...

Test
    I run "onbar -b rootdbs"
    Test log shows

2004-03-02 09:21:48 11567 11565 /opt/informix/bin/onbar_d -b rootdbs
    2004-03-02 09:21:49 11567 11565 Begin level 0 backup rootdbs.
    2004-03-02 09:23:04 11567 11565 Process 11567 received signal 3. Process will exit after cleanup.
    2004-03-02 09:31:49 11567 11565 Warning: BAR_TIMEOUT unable to initialize connection to Storage Manager.

And the proccess runs on and on and .....

So what is happening:
    Did it really back up the rootdbs?
    Will it ever finish?
    Is there a good guide to onbar out there? I have read the Informix docs and they just say the same thing over and over with the idea that it just will work.

I have tested the tape drive at the Linux command prompt, I put tar files on the tape and restored them no problem.

Giving up on onbar...

onto the nightmare of ontape

It backs up without error but on restore I get
    Physical restore failed - restore reserved pages failed

Since the manul says set TAPEBLK but give no value to set it too I have tried 16, 64, 128, 256, 512 nogo!

If the choice was mine this would be done in MySQL.

Anyone?

I've never heard ontape described as more convoluted than onbar before.

The block size should be set to the block size of your tape device. The critical thing is that the block size be the same for the ontape -s and the ontape -r

How was ontape -s run? What level ? I'm hoping for a level 0 backup.

How is ontape -r being run ? Is the server status online?

The easy case of ontape is ontape -s -L 0
    for a full backup, followed by ontape -r , on an offline server, and neither backup nor restore the logs. This would be a cold restore, it will end up with the server being in single user mode (aka quiescent), use onmode -m to get to online.

As to how low it takes; it depends on the length of the string ...

At the site I'm at here, ontape backs up 30 GB in just under 15 minutes. If you don't have a HP Ultrium 230 internal tape drive, I can say that they work faster than 4 mm dat.

Regards,

Gave up

I kept getting errors after about 5 cycles of 1-get error, 2-hunt for answer in docs find none, 3-spend hours hunting for answer in some corner of the web, 4-edit some small config file some were to fix and repeat. I gave up on both!

I am using Linux commands and crontab to do the backups. I do onmode -c block and back up the dbspaces to tape and unblock. I have tested it with no problems. It takes about 1 minute for it to run. We have less than half a gig of data.

Thanks,

James...

Re: Gave up

Originally posted by stedlj
    I kept getting errors after about 5 cycles of 1-get error, 2-hunt for answer in docs find none, 3-spend hours hunting for answer in some corner of the web, 4-edit some small config file some were to fix and repeat. I gave up on both!

I am using Linux commands and crontab to do the backups. I do onmode -c block and back up the dbspaces to tape and unblock. I have tested it with no problems. It takes about 1 minute for it to run. We have less than half a gig of data.

Thanks,

James...
    Sounds Great!

You did check the restore, ??

Regards,

testing

Yes, I simulated a week of backups and made changes to the database between each backup. Then I did a restore test to first and third backups and the instance came up with the correct data.

Thanks,