Unanswered: DB2 Administrative APIs

I am new to DB2 and I am trying to implement a tool using DB2 Administrative (C API) API.My requirement is for the tool to query the DB2 servers to get the list of databases in each of the servers.I looked at API's like sqleatin(Attach),sqledosd (open database directory scan) etc: which I believe will give me the necessary info.

My question is :

1.Can I execute the Administrative API's remotely ?? Can I execute this tool (that uses the admin API) in a box that does not have a DB2 installation ??

I am asking this since none of the API's take an IP address / Tcp port as argument.Instead they seem to be using the value of the DB2INSTANCE env variable to identify the instance.

Any help will be highly appreciated....

Re: DB2 Administrative APIs

No you can not execute admin API remotely and no, you can not execute api without db2 client.

If theory the functionality you need (list databases from remote instance) can be achieved via administarive instance (it must be up on a remote box).
    I'm not sure if the access API to admin instance is documented.

Thanks for your help.I do not have a problem having db2 client on my machine (I guess in this case db2api.lib).

I was just wondering how the DB2 UI tools communicate with the servers ?? They seem to be able to communicate remotely.

By any chance,Does anyone know what API they use ?? Probably that is what I should look for ...

Thanks
    Ajay

Hi,

we are using the control center for os/390 to administrate db2 on os/390 or z/os from a remote client.

regards

marc gaines

Originally posted by ajayp
    Thanks for your help.I do not have a problem having db2 client on my machine (I guess in this case db2api.lib).

I was just wondering how the DB2 UI tools communicate with the servers ?? They seem to be able to communicate remotely.

By any chance,Does anyone know what API they use ?? Probably that is what I should look for ...

Thanks
    Ajay