Unanswered: Not getting login prompt in 2002 MDW

Hi all.

My one weakness ... Networks. I'm trying to setup security in my database and have created a new MDW file and put the users and permissions in for all my objects. Now, I can't get the blasted thing to prompt for the login ... I'm just blythely going in as Admin ... Any idea of how to turn it on? I tried doing what the help said to do:

Tools-> Users and Account-> Users Group and on the Admin user-> Change Password Login->Set it.

Still not getting the prompt ...

Thanks!

Kinda weak in this area too, 'coz I've never had to do it.

I think you may want to start by removing Admin from the Admins group (ensure there is at least one account with Admin access), then bind the mdb to your mdw created for this db. I think you'll need either short-cuts with the mdw referenced in the command line / have people within this mdw instead of system.mdw

Can't help beyond that, only done a bit o' reading.
    All code ADO/ADOX unless otherwise specified.
    Mike.

Originally posted by HomerBoo
    Kinda weak in this area too, 'coz I've never had to do it.

I think you may want to start by removing Admin from the Admins group (ensure there is at least one account with Admin access), then bind the mdb to your mdw created for this db. I think you'll need either short-cuts with the mdw referenced in the command line / have people within this mdw instead of system.mdw

Can't help beyond that, only done a bit o' reading.
    Mike,

I think I got it ... You do have to set each machine to point to/use the "custom" MDW file ... I did that. The problem was on the Access session ... Access has to be completely exited out of and re-entered for the new MDW to take effect AND the access db needs to be bound to that same MDW ... I didn't do both initially ...

P.S. - If this is not the case then I got the thing to work I just don't have frigging clue how ... (just kept banging on the keyboard)

- Mike

You can do the above but remember if you make your custom.mdw the defalt for all your users they will not be able to get into any other databases exclusively, nor get access to any other database that has security set up under a different workgroup.

So I do it like this...

Set up a shortcut to your database that opens it with the workgroup.

Then pass this shortcut to all your users.

The shortcut would be written like this.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" C:\\DATABASE.mdb
    /WRKGRP "C:\\WORKGROUP.mdw"
    Last edited by Coldendus; 03-02-04 at 19:03.