Unanswered: Empty rows in excel data sheet used in DTS

Hi Everyone,

I am using a DTS package where one of the inputs is an Excel Sheet. Actually this sheet is updated manually whenever required i.e once a week or sometimes once a month, but the DTS package runs everyday.

Whenever new rows are added or deleted manually in the excel sheet, empty rows are showed in the sheet after the last row of data. This hinders the DTS package, because the destination table to which the data in the Excel sheet is sent has Primary keys in it.

Can anyone suggest me how to avoid getting the empty spaces in the excel sheet.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    kalyan

Excel has a funny habit of recognising that there is data present when there really isn't. The easiest solution is when deleting records don't just press the delete key, actually right click the mouse and choose delete from the available options. It may even be better to run some macro inside the document that deletes all records below the last record in this manner.

Hi SJP,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I think to run a macro to delete all records below the last record would be the most feasible solution.

Thanks again.

Regards,
    kalyan

Remove Excel Named Ranges

The simple solution I applied was to delete all the named ranges in the Excel worksheet (From the Excel menu: Insert > Name > Define. It seems that after rows are deleted in the Excel sheet, the named ranges do not get updated. After deleting the named ranges, it was easy to Import the data.