Thread: DB design

Unanswered: DB design

Hi friends,

I'm going to Design a database(500 gb).

Does anybody knows how to allocate memory,tablespace,datafile?

Rough design

urgent!

Regards
    sudheer

Provided Answers: 1

Re: DB design

Hire a consultant?

Thumbs up Re: DB design

It is always better to hire a consultent, but still if it is ur work , then the basic design starts right from the estimation of the record size and table size and then from there to table space size and so on , follow the OFA rules and regulations.
    Good luck Sreedhar.

Provided Answers: 1

Re: DB design

My earlier post may have appeared somewhat sarcastic, sorry. But really, if you are going to design a 500GB database, then that is a fairly heavy duty database, presumably for some serious business or application? It needs to be designed by someone with the relevant skills.

At home, I feel quite competent to put up shelves, assemble flat-pack furniture, maybe build a garden shed. But if I wanted to build a new house, I'd hire experienced architects and builders. I wouldn't get on the internet and ask for tips on depth of foundations, thickness of beams etc. to do it myself.

excellent comment, tony

reminds me of this scenario, which we see all too often:
    "Hi, i've just read Sam's Teach Yourself Brain Surgery in 21 Days and i was wondering, do i need a full operating room theatre? What about an anesthetist, can't i do that stuff myself before i start cutting? And what's with the washing, scrubbing, washing hands -- after all, i'll be wearing rubber gloves, right?"
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL