Exclamation Unanswered: xp_cmdshell does not execute for non-sysadmin account even with proxy account

Hi all, i hope you can help me.

Basically a dts package has been setup that pulls in data from another companies server, this data requires to be on-demand i.e individual users can pull in updates of the data when they require it.

I am using xp_cmdshell and dtsrun to pull in the data. This obviouly works fine for me as i am a member of sysadmin.

Books online quotes " SQL Server Agent proxy accounts allow SQL Server users who do not belong to the sysadmin fixed server role to execute xp_cmdshell"

So i went to the SQL Server Agent Properties 'Job System' tab and unchecked 'Non-sysadmin job step proxy account' and entered a proxy account.

The proxy account has been setup as a Windows user with local administrator privilages and even a member of the sysadmin server role - just in case.

Now when i log onto the db with my test account - a non-sysadmin - and attempt to run the stored proc to import the data i recieved the message 'EXECUTE permission denied on object 'xp_cmdshell', database 'master', owner 'dbo' '

hmm... so basically i have either misunderstood BoL or there is something not quite right in my setup.

I have search the net for a few days now and yet i can find no solution.

Can anyone help?

You may, however, grant other users permission to execute this stored procedure.
    Did you do that?

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Also ensure user does have permission on master database.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP