Unanswered: Give each record an owner

I want to make each record in my database have an owner then filter the database depending who is logged on (Using Access Security)

many thanks

Gary

Re: Give each record an owner

Originally posted by GaryLondon
    I want to make each record in my database have an owner then filter the database depending who is logged on (Using Access Security)

many thanks

Gary
    What do you mean? Yuo want permissions on a record basis? Why not have a column in each table that the writer of the record has their name/user id stored in?

yes, that's what I want, but how do I get Access to recognise who is logged on and filter the records accordingly ???

thanks

Originally posted by GaryLondon
    yes, that's what I want, but how do I get Access to recognise who is logged on and filter the records accordingly ???

thanks
    But I listed 2 questions ... Which one is the way you want to go???? CurrentUser tells who is currently logged in in a session. This is by default Admin (no login prompt) ... As for filtering, that depends on how you want to do that ... That depends on how you've setup your form to run.

Sorry. I don't know Access that well. I think I should have a column where I can enter the user name into for each record, then when the user logs on, the db only displays records that match their username.

I'm assuming you have access security set up so the users have to log in.

If so then it's just as Owen said, have a column that stores the CurrentUser function when the record is written, and then filter on that field when the form is opened using the CurrentUser function again.

Yes I think am getting my head round it now. Thanks alot

Gary